Posted by Jeff Adelson-Yan (@jeffadelsonyan)
The Discovery Channel’s Shark Week turns 25 this year and they are pulling out all the stops in celebration. Over the years, Shark Week has taken on new life. In 2000, they debuted a Sharks 3D episode. Last year, the channel’s ads used Lady Gaga’s “Show Me Your Teeth” to broaden their appeal with young audiences. This year, there’s Shark Week Plus–an addition to the Discovery Channel’s iPad app that automatically syncs content online to what you’re viewing offline.
Most notable additions to Shark Week this year to better engage the audience:
1. Shark Week Bingo – available during certain shows
2. Social TV – automatically syncs online content with the show you are watching through your iPad mic
3. Shark Cam – On sharks 24-7 for the week and fully controllable.
4. Ongoing series beloved by fans – This year’s take on Air Jaws I, II and “Ultimate Air Jaws” is “Air Jaws Apocalypse”
5. New sponsorship with Volkswagen – a underwater car will double as a shark cage
6. Further integration with Twitter & Facebook – you can put your thoughts here and watch to see if they end up on TV.
The innovation of Discovery Channel, mixed with some creative ad and app creation, can only propel the popularity of Shark Week. Are you watching?